Finding Life's Purpose - Inspiration for young people with Benedict XVl Published by CTS
It is not often that I laugh aloud when reading a CTS booklet - in fact I can't remember ever having done so before. But on reading 'Joseph [St Joseph of Cupertino] was investigated (and exonerated) by the Inquisition because of his antigravitational activities,' I was hooting, and by the time I got to 'He is the patron saint of ... air travellers' the tears were practically rolling down my cheeks.
But I am getting ahead of myself (and maybe I was simply in jocund mood, having been reading of St Thomas More's capacity to make jokes on the scaffold, and St Josephine Bakhita's infectious smile and joy - but I am getting ahead of myself again).
This is actually a great book: a wonderful idea, very well-executed. It builds on the Holy Father's recent visit, and aims to continue his message to young people to seek and find the true purpose of their life, in the love of God. Approaching 50 myself, this still spoke to me (and of course one only has to remember Our Lord's command: unless you become like little children..., to remember that we are none of us too old to learn.)
The first three chapters are taken from three of the Holy Father's addresses whilst in England. The first Happiness comes from friendship with God, is from his address to school children at Twickenham. Reading it now, I can hear his voice again as he calls the young people to be saints.
The second chapter, Discover the purpose of your lives, comes from his address to the youth gathered outside Westminster Cathedral (our second daughter, Clare, was there, and was deeply affected by his words and his person). 'I ask you to look into your hearts each day, to find the source of all true love. Jesus is always there, quietly waiting for us to be still with him and to hear his voice. [snip] and in discovering our true self, we discover the particular vocation which God has given us for the building up of his Church and the redemption of our world.' This is the vision our Holy Father has for our young people: to become saints, to restore the Church and to to redeem the world, under the leadership of Christ.
The third chapter, Radiate Christ's love to all, was his address that same day to the crowds in Hyde Park. (Clare was there too). Reflecting on the forthcoming beatification of Cardinal Newman the following day, the Holy Father issues a stirring call to action: ' Faith is meant to bear fruit in the transformation of our world through the power of the Holy Spirit at wok in the lives and activities of believers. No one who looks realistically at our world today could think that Christians can afford to go on with business as usual, ignoring the profound crisis of fait which has overtaken our society...' He continues, specifically addressing the younger people present: 'Only Jesus knows what 'definite service' he has in mind for you. Be open to his voice resounding in the depths of your heart: even now his heart is speaking to your heart.'
The next chapter, Making the best of school and study is an attempt by the anonymous author(s) of this book (though from the style, I have my suspicions...) to bring the Pope's high ideals into the concrete reality of the young people who have now returned to their schools. It addresses the specifics of school life, placing it in a context of Catholic growth, and has a helpful set of tips for studying.
The final section, Turn to the Saints, suggests a number of saints whose intercession may be particularly appropriate for the different difficulties school children may encounter. It then offers a brief biography (typically a page) of each and some suggested prayers to each. This is very well done, and I judge it will appeal to my children (I'll try it out on them later). And perhaps it is only a mark of my frivolity that I collapsed in laughter right at the finish...

Yu gave me a very welcome good laugh too. Loved his patronage of air travellers!
ReplyDelete