When reading and reviewing Fr Dilkes’ booklet on the History of the Mass, I kept murmuring to myself ‘Hasn’t he read Duffy?’ Just in case there is anyone out there who really hasn’t, I thought it would be timely to offer a brief review.
I haven’t read it for several years myself, so this will necessarily be a fairly cursory overview (as it runs to some 600 pages, I haven’t time to re-read it and offer a proper review in a timely manner!).
However, I well remember the impact this book had on me, and the main thrust of its argument. It is in two parts.
In the first, Duffy explores religious life in England in the 15th century. He refutes the accepted view (remember that the winners wrote the history) that Catholicism was rotten and ready to crumble, and the Reformation was both inevitable and good. Drawing on a vast array of sources, from documents to the fabric of churches themselves, he paints a picture of a rich religious sensibility amongst the ordinary laity.
In the second part, Duffy charts the destruction of the traditions and piety of centuries in a mere 50 years, by a small but determined group of men - and in the face of resistance and hostility from the ordinary people. He also charts the terrible effect of the Reformation on the structures of charity and education, amongst others.
If you have not read this book, and you have any interest in history, sociology, or religion in England, you should certainly do so. It is compelling and fascinating; and despite its 600 pages, eminently readable.

"Duffy charts the destruction of the traditions and piety of centuries in a mere 50 years, by a small but determined group of men - and in the face of resistance and hostility from the ordinary people. He also charts the terrible effect of the Reformation on the structures of charity and education, amongst others."
ReplyDeleteHmmmmmmmmmm. Thank goodness that could never happem again.
I read Duffy's excellent book some time ago and it left me very angry.
ReplyDeleteAll Catholics should read it, and perhaps seek out a better word for what was done by Henry and his henchmen than 'reformation'.
"So-called reformation", which I always use, smacks too much of 1950s Radio Moscow.
Ttony: quite...
ReplyDeleteL-F How about : "Revolution, pillage and iconoclasm'? (Threes are always good rhetoric...). Try replacing the word Reformation in any sentence with those three. 'The aims of the Protestant Revolution, pillage and iconoclasm were...' and so on. Pretty good, I think!
Thank you Andrew for your excellent suggestion, which I am adding to my word-hoard.
ReplyDelete