Why does Mary Wear Blue? And other Questions by Pierpaolo Finaldi - CTS Children’s Books
Why does Mary Wear Blue is a large format (8 inches x 8 inches) children’s book, consisting of a series of questions and answers about Our Lady. The questions were all asked by real children - year 5 at Holy Cross School, in Catford, London. Many of the pictures were also supplied by them, and are placed alongside familiar classics, such as Fran Angelico.
After a brief introduction, there are 10 questions, each answered and illustrated over a double page spread. The questions cover the whole of Our Lady’s life, from ‘Who were Mary’s parents?’ to ‘How did Mary die?’
The format and the content are both very good: unashamedly Catholic and generally very clear (though occasionally the text could be more definitive). I am sure that children will enjoy the book and learn a lot - I did!
My Little Christmas Prayer Book by Maïte Roche - CTS Children’s BooksMy Little Christmas Prayer Book is a similar large format picture book, aimed at younger children (aged 2- 5). However, I am less in sympathy with this, though purely for reasons of taste. The pictures are reminiscent of Judith Kerr (who did the Mog books) and I simply don’t like the style: others do of course.
By the same token, I always find other peoples’ children’s prayers do nothing for me - and that is certainly the case here. But again others will like them. If my children were rather younger, I’d get their views, but they’re all teenagers.
So rather than simply announce my prejudices, here’s a sample prayer:
In the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.
Soon it will be Christmas!
Day after day,
Jesus I wait for you,and I’m getting ready for your coming.
We will have a party to celebrate your birth.
Come to us, Jesus,
we are ready to welcome you,
light up our hearts,
they are full of love for you.
Come, Lord Jesus!
Amen.
If you like this and you like the style of illustration (or if your children do) then of course this comes highly recommended...

No comments:
Post a Comment